My 7th grade Lunch Bunch has grown beyond friendship and social skills. We are talking about empowerment and I was planning a lesson on "First Impressions". Someone posted this video by Colbie Caillat on our Caught In The Middle School Counselor Facebook group. After I watched this video yesterday, I immediately knew I had to use it with this group.I thought this was a perfect compliment to the purpose and goals of what I wanted the girls to walk away knowing.
When the girls came into my room, we settled into our normal routine and them I played them this video.
After playing the video, we broke into a discussion.
I asked them:
- What message do you think Colbie is trying to get across?
- How have you (or other students in your grade) changed since becoming a seventh grader? Why do you think this is?
- What type of impression would you have if you met these women in the video for the first time with their makeup/hair/tattoos fixed (showing) versus without?
- When you go somewhere and meet people for the first time what impressions do you make based on what they look like?
- What if you saw a doctor who had tattoos on their face?
- What if you saw a woman with tattoos all over her arms? How would this be different if you met her and she were in a business suit and her arms were covered?
- What other impressions would you find odd if you saw them?
- What type of first impression do you think people have about you? What impression do you want them to have about you?
- How can we remember not to judge others so superficially?
There was a lot of discussion and the girls were really engaged. I can't wait to show this to my younger students. I may have to change the focus a little bit, and I need to wait a while before adding it into what we are doing. It's amazing how something so simple as a 3 minute video can create 30 minutes of discussion.
Do you have a great video to share? Let me know. Better yet, share it with us by joining one of the groups below: